Meera-Devi and The Mad Terran's Music Blog

Monday, May 23, 2005

Green Day and Getting Older.

Part of the purpose of this blog is to share what I hear, see and experience within music. The hope is to post the occasional review and share the occasional story about what happens as I work on the front lines of music retail. Yes, I am a lowly associate in a major, mall music store. Consider this site as a way to give back to music community as a whole.

A couple days ago, I went to return a lawnmower to my grandmother's house that my father had borrowed. My soon-to-be 13 year old cousin was over for the afternoon and she asked if we kept the second Green Day CD in stock at the store. "You know, American Idiot."

I sighed, shook my head and corrected her. I told her that it was their fifth or sixth album over the years, I forgot exactly. (After a refresher, it's their seventh). She also told me that her mother, a British woman, liked the band because they were British. Or that they at least sounded British and someone in her class looked like Billy Joe.

I found it all pretty amusing, at least. Then I thought about it and felt kind of sad that so many of these kids don't even know what Dookie was and how good of an album it really was.

It came out when I was probably about my cousin's age. I remember being in Middle School when it came out. It was the kind of album good boys like myself didn't listen too, therefore, I didn't ask for it. (I finally bought it for five bucks around 2002, long before the current fervor when Green Day was written off as a has been band). But those singles were something to really enjoy in age when so much was so serious musically on FM radio in Miami. . . Not that it's ever gotten better.

Strangely enough, however, I am reluctant to make copies for her to listen too. I'm not sure how her mother would react, despite her fawning over them because a group from Southern California sometimes sound like a couple British Punk Bands. Perhaps I should make a copy of Billy Joe's look alike's album and give her "Hot Fuss" by the Killers. I do love that album too.

Upon reflection, I'm glad Green Day has found a new musical stride, because while I was in High School, they didn't sound all that great. Also, their top 40 hit with "Time of Your Life" really did them in for me. I don't think the bands I like should have a single that's in consideration for a graduation theme song around the country.

I also feel that off of the new album, "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" has the potential to be the next "Under the Bridge." Both songs seem to have a certain, dreary quality to them that makes them quite beautiful. Maybe it's the themes of urban loneliness.

So, Three Cheers for Green Day. Expect to hear them soon on Mad Terran Music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google Groups Subscribe to Mad Terran Music
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com