Meera-Devi and The Mad Terran's Music Blog

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Light My Soul

It's now 2007, and everything should feel like a celebration. That wasn't how this mix evolved, but I think it expresses that nice sentiment. It actually started when I discovered on my computer a cover of "Light My Fire" by Shirley Bassey, and I thought it kicked a lot of ass. From there, after a few fits and starts and lots of new discovery, this little mix came out. It's a little of this, a little of that that spews out a strange groove that I think expresses the general state of a new year. We're hopeful it'll come out wildly perfect, and we're fearful that it won't. All the while, looking back, trying to make for damn sure we don't make the same mistakes again. . .

It also includes one of my new, music lady loves: Alice Smith. Now this woman really can sing any style she wants. She's been described as a combination of Norah Jones and Alicia Keys, and I can see that. But there's still something there that comes out wildly different.

Light My Soul

1. Shirley Bassey - Light my Fire
2. Sam Cooke - Summertime
3. Elvis Costello & Allen Toussaint - Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further?
4. Sergio Mendes & Brazil '66 - Chove Chuva
5. Alice Smith - Fake Is The New Real
6. Bee Gees - love me
7. Spanky Wilson & The Quantic Soul Orchestra - A Woman Like Me
8. Roy Orbison - I Drove All Night
9. Small Faces - Shake
10. Strangecloud - Mantra
11. Lou Rawls - Lady Love
12. Herbie Mann - Yardbird Suite
13. Pink Martini - Hang On Little - Let's Never Stop Falling In Love
14. Sly & Family Stone - Sing A Simple Song
15. George Benson & Al Jarreau - Summer Breeze
16. Buckshot Lefonque - Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters
17. Isaac Hayes - Ain't That Loving You (For More Reasons Than One)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google Groups Subscribe to Mad Terran Music
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com