Meera-Devi and The Mad Terran's Music Blog

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

I FEEEEEEL Nice Like Sugar and Spice!

Well, I don't feel entirely nice now that the Godfather of Soul, James Brown has passed away. But it has made me start digging through the soul and funk music again. and that always helps.

Sadly, we're now without the patron, musical influence to this little operation and thorn in Dellessanna's side. And to Honor the man, and his music (despite however weird he was in real life) I threw together a mix that I think honors him well.

I started out with using just his music, but somehow, it wouldn't come out in any insular way. I love his music, but I also love it when it's contrasted by the music of his contemporaries and followers.

Soul always reminds me of summer afternoon's, heading to the barbershop with my dad, listening to the local oldies station. James Brown's music has always been a regular fixture there, so I guess it simply takes me back to a time when I didn't have to give a damn. (I just had fun with it, and I'm probably just filling space.)

The Godfather and More

1. James Brown - I Got You
2. Brothers Johnson - Strawberry Letter 23
3. James Brown - Papa's Got A Brand New Bag
4. Parliament - Up for the Down Stroke
5. Sam Cooke - Twistin' The Night Away
6. James Brown - Night Train
7. Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - Tracks of My Tears
8. Jackson 5 - Sugar Daddy
9. Ray Charles - Hit the Road, Jack
10. James Brown - It's A Man's World
11. Marvin Gaye - here, my dear
12. Four Tops - What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted
13. The Temptations - Papa Was a Rolling Stone
14. Wilson Pickett - Get Me Back On Time, Engine Number 9
15. The Undisputed Truth - Smiling Faces Sometimes
16. James Brown - make it funky, parts 1, 2, 3 & 4

Now, for the mix I intended to post this week. It's a bit different than the former, in that it's mostly newer material. It still really grooves and incorporates a lot of different styles. In this diverse year of ups and downs, I thought something like this was appropriate. And let's not forget, the New Year is a party.

Spacemen

1. Office Of Strategic Influence - New Mama
2. Jane Birkin - She Left Home (instrumental)
3. Future Bible Heroes - Doris Daytheearthstoodstill
4. Peeping Tom - Your Neighborhood Spaceman (Feat. Jel & Odd Nosam)
5. Jamiroquai - Emergency On Planet Earth
6. Guru - Down To The Backstreets
7. Lady Sovereign - Public Warning
8. Liquid Soul - Action Jackson
9. Kinky - A Donde Van Los Muertos?
10. Brazilian Girls - Last Call
11. Rasputina - Olde Headboard (Glittered Mix)
12. Portishead - You Find the Earth Boring (Remix)
13. The RH Factor - Bullshit
14. Turin Brakes - Full of Stars

Finally, giving us at least another half hour of music: The Blue Cheer's brilliant album "Vincebus Eruptus" This is garage rock at it's finest, starting with their classic and now standard version of "Summertime Blues."

Hopes this is enough music to bring in the New Year and rock out too. Eventually, I promise my end of the year album honors quite soon (once I settle on it, really).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google Groups Subscribe to Mad Terran Music
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com