Meera-Devi and The Mad Terran's Music Blog

Monday, February 19, 2007

Stalin's Gift

Stalin's Gift on CNN

Continuing our ongoing American coverage of the Polish music scene, I found this. Stalin gave this building as a gift to the Poles (and he gave similarly constructed gothic buildings to many cities around Eastern Europe).

The building is hated by the old, but embraced by the young as a place to do what. . .

Where American style mullets, see American movies and of course, have 80's night.

Of course, the older population wants to tear it down as a symbol of opression, but who knows, maybe it should be torn down if it's a source of bad 80's music. Even though, it's our bread and butter around here.

1 Comments:

  • Funny you point this out. My second lesson of "Beginner's Polish" features a picture of the palace. The Polish name for it is Pałac Kultury i Nauki (Palace of Culture and Science).

    If I understand this correctly, I am not entirely surprised that people reverently celebrate the 80s in Poland. I met a Polish dude who still listens to Enigma and the Eurhythmics. When I actually saw the mp3s on his mp3-player, I couldn't stop giggling for about 10 minutes. He never quite realized why that was amusing. Thankfully, he didn't have a mullet, but I'll give him another year or so of living in Pittsburgh, the mullet capital, and I should expect a mullet anytime soon...

    By Blogger Meera Devi, at 11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google Groups Subscribe to Mad Terran Music
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com