Meera-Devi and The Mad Terran's Music Blog

Sunday, May 29, 2005

45's and Geddy Lee

For the past several months, I've been a record collector. Collector is probably not the best word. I have bought some stuff that could fetch a little bit of money to some people, but on the whole I've been a junkie for finding music in thrift stores and antique shops. I've found more than a few amazing albums for a buck each all over town.

Several months ago, I bought several little gems at a Salvation Army. I was one my way home and I was checking the Tim Curry record and out rolled a 45 of “Under Pressure” by Queen and David Bowie. I remembered buying a Rare Earth on that same occasion, and I've played it several times since then. A couple nights ago, I was looking at the cover, and out rolled another 45, this time “Wild Thing” by the Troggs. It's not in the greatest condition. I doubt it would fetch more than buck on Ebay, but I think it's kind of cool to own. Mostly importantly, it still plays amazingly well, and I'd never heard the b-side before.

Then again, while trolling another thrift shop, I got Rush's “Fly By Night” and “A Farewell to Kings.” I discovered a strange little song from Rush that I hadn't heard before on “Fly By Night” called “Rivendell.” For some strange reason, it reminded me of the song Billy Boyd sang for the Return of the King Soundtrack. In a sense, Billy Boyd sounds an awful lot like Geddy Lee, the lead singer for Rush. It's not so much the voice, but the manner in which they both sing in both songs. They're both light the songs float.
I uploaded them both, so you all be the judge.

Steward of Gondor
Rivendell

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google Groups Subscribe to Mad Terran Music
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com