Meera-Devi and The Mad Terran's Music Blog

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Crate Digging

Today I went digging into my 45's since I'd amassed quite a few over the past year or so. I'd also sought to get my filthy hands on a few gems through ebay and a couple stores down here. I've determined that I've got a strange collection.

So since, I also had the day off, I started recording a bunch of them to my computer with the intent of making a few mixes with them and justifying the collection to friends, familly, and my wonderfully adoring girlfriend. I'd like to think that I've learned something about how to record records to my computer properly after owning a record player and records for almost two years.

These recordings are far from perfect. Hell, most of the records this series of podcasts came from are far from perfect. So I will ask you all to both becareful while listening, and keep that in mind while listening.

The first I will post is actually the second mix along these lines. The first one still needs some tweaking. This one is also really short and a small download by our standards.

All Vinyl Podcast 2

1. Procol Harum - Whiter Shade of Pale
2. Tilly and the Wall - Patience, Babe
3. John Fred and His Playboy Band - Judy in Disguise (With Glasses)
4. The Solarflares - Open Your Eyes
5. Alexander 'Skip' Spence - Land of the Sun
6. The Mars Volta - Bible and the Breathalyzer

okay, I might have cheated a bit. The Spence track is from a newly released 45 by Sundazed that encompasses the two known songs records since his solo album "Oar." This track actually was meant for the 'X Files' but it was too weird. And The Mars Volta came from a 10 inch picture disc I bought in a Hot Topic up in Terre Haute with Kammie. The Tilly and the wall came from a 7 inch that was at 33 rpm instead of the standard 45.

I still like this little mix. There's something about hearing "Whiter Shade of Pale" on a record that seems to make the song even more ethereal that it already is.

No matter how you cut it, listening to something on vinyl is real, tangible. You can see it playing unlike sliding a CD into a tray and watching it disappear, or the magic that is MP3. It's also cool watching the record turn if it's got a slight warp to it (as most older ones do) from edge on. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google Groups Subscribe to Mad Terran Music
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com