Meera-Devi and The Mad Terran's Music Blog

Monday, September 04, 2006

Labor Day

Ha! I've got the day off, while I've no doubt the store is busy at the mall I work at. For this week, I'm posting an end of summer treat of a full, two mixes.

The first is a mix I put together this week or so, mostly of stuff I've been listening to lately. It's also meant to be played in store, eventually. But I've got to take the time to burn it. It has some fun stuff and a couple covers.

The second has been played in store and is a second Funk mix for the summer. It formed out of a sampler of some Lakeside, Midnight Star and Shalamar songs that were on the new essential collections put out by Solar a couple months ago. What is especially amusing is how ever-present some of these songs are in modern music through covers and sampling, yet a lot of people just don't know the original. Sadly, someone I work with, a big hip hop fan, noticed a lot of Curtis Mayfield has been sampled, and started filling in Coolio's additions to "Fantastic Voyage" rather than actually knowing these original tracks. Modern Hip Hop owes a lot to the Funk world.

Our mixes:

Destroyed by the Revolution
1. Pulp - The Day After the Revolution
2. The Flaming Lips - Seven Nation Army
3. Super Furry Animals - If You Don't Want Me to Destroy You
4. Cake - Short Skirt Long Jacket
5. The Giraffes - Lonely Chicken
6. The Beatles - Rocky Raccoon
7. Various Artists - The Flaming Lips - If I Only Had A Brain
8. Broken Social Scene - Puff the Magic Dragon
9. Spacehog - Mungo City
10. Talking Heads - (Nothing But) Flowers
11. The Raconteurs - Steady As She Goes
12. The Black Heart Procession - The Spell
13. EASY STAR ALL*STARS - Electioneering

Funky Work
1. Parliament - Chocolate City
2. james brown - funky president (people it's bad)
3. Brothers Johnson - Ain't We Funkin' Now
4. commodores - girl i think the world about you
5. Curtis Mayfield - Diamond In the Back, Sunroof Top, Diggin the Scene..
6. Lakeside - I Want To Hold Your Hand
7. Isaac Hayes - Baby I'm-A Want You
8. The Meters - Fire on the Bayou
9. Prince - I Would Die 4 U
10. Bootsy Collins - Groove Eternal ft. One & Bobby Womack
11. Midnight Star - Freak-A-Zoid
12. Lakeside - Fantastic Voyage

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google Groups Subscribe to Mad Terran Music
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com