Meera-Devi and The Mad Terran's Music Blog

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Imaginary Popcorn From Osaka to Kansas City

This week's mix took some time to develop, mostly in that I didn't have a clue what to put together. Somehow, I encountered an odd IDM group called Her Space Holiday, and it spurred me to dig out somemore IDM. I really liked the band's overall sound. They grooved without being too overwhelming. It eventually led to this mix.

I tried to create a mix that had that same type of sound: groovy, without being too much. It bounces around from IDM, to jazz, to funk and I even tossed in a guy on sitar. Yellow Magic Orchestra fits in with another one of my recent fascinations: Japanese Prog. (They were a band that developed electronic music in Japan almost entirely independently of Kraftwerk in Germany.) Bird and the Bee and Gym Class Heroes are a couple of recent fascinations around the store.

Imaginary Popcorn From Osaka to Kansas City

1. Dr. Lonnie Smith - Your Mama's Got a Complex
2. Yellow Magic Orchestra - Day Tripper
3. Kool & The Gang - Jungle Boogie
4. Big Jim Sullivan - Translove Airways (Fat Angel)
5. Her Space Holiday - Something To Do With My Hands
6. Gym Class Heroes - Apollo 3-1-5
7. I Am Robot And Proud - Osaka (Girls Are Short)
8. Hot Butter - Popcorn
9. J Ralph - Kansas City Shuffle
10. Terry Callier - Just My Imagination (Groove Armada Remix)
11. Edwyn Collins & Orange Juice - The Magic Piper (Of Love)
12. Noiseshaper - Walls Of Silence
13. The Bird And The Bee - I Hate Camera
14. Oingo Boingo - We Close Our Eyes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google Groups Subscribe to Mad Terran Music
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com