Meera-Devi and The Mad Terran's Music Blog

Friday, June 17, 2005

An evening . . .

I spent a couple hours out listening to a couple CDs and wandering from restaurant to restaurant in my area. Sure, it was only two restaurants, but they were a good distance apart.

I've made this evening a jazz evening. At work, I found Lizz Wright's new album "Dreaming Wide Awake." I listened to a bit of the samples on the machines, keeping in mind what I had heard from Salt a few years ago. Over all, it's a beautiful album: simple and lush. Ms. Wright's voice is like it's being broadcasted from decades ago, trying to convey a message to us all. Stylistically, she's a bit like Norah Jones or Diana Krall, but that's not to say she's just another cookie cutter. She's definitely an understated talent of her own. No insane vocal theatrics on this album.

The songs really caught my attention when I turned it over, checked them out. Even looking at the liners, I was pleased. She covered "Old Man" by Neil Young and did a did an amazing job. The song now sounds like it is sung by someone who is newly 24 (or maybe it has to do with the listener finally turning that age not too long ago). She also performed a couple songs by Jesse Harris, Norah Jones's long time collaborator (he's the guy who wrote "Don't Know Why.") And there's "Get Together" by the Youngbloods on the album too, which was a real shocker to me.

I've managed to listen to a couple other jazz things this evening too, as well as Orson Wells' "War of the Worlds" Broadcast. Now that truly is something from the past. I'm looking forward to watching the DVD documentary that came with it. But that's not for now. Tonight is for jazz and writing and love.

Also, a question for everyone out there. I've begin a brief

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google Groups Subscribe to Mad Terran Music
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com