Meera-Devi and The Mad Terran's Music Blog

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Holiday Help

I knew things were going to be rough this holiday season with getting posts up. In fact, I've still got a couple in mind that I've got to write up and a mix to post up soon too. In the meantime, I asked a couple of our readers to write something up for the holidays. My girlfriend, Kammie, settled on writing a short article on Rasputina, a band that I've discovered and come to enjoy through her. It's curious how there's so much trading of interests during relationships.

Kammie:

I have adored Rasputina for years, so it was a bit odd that I didn't snatch up their newest cd, Frustration Plantation, when it came out. I have always been a bit odd with the cd's I buy though, so it isn't really that surprising. When I did finally pick up the cd earlier this year though, well, I was in love. I don't normally fangirl bands, it's just not my nature to get obsessive about one band, or even one type of music.

I should revise that though, because after this year I really could fangirl Rasputina, and yes, I am the reason they are in a great deal of The Mad Terran's mixes since I foisted them on him. It makes me feel more than a bit pleased to introduce something new—musically— to him, because truthfully it is usually the opposite, and he is sending me something new to listen to (and let me tell you sometimes that is a success, but there have been more than a few disasters that left me exasperated. Electronic. *shudders*)

Coincidentally, I found a copy of A Radical Recital (Rasputina's Live album) in my mail box a couple of weeks ago. A gift. And I haven't stopped listening to it since. The only thing it was missing was their rendition of Wish You Were Here, which I find I am addicted to as badly as I am addicted to candy. But I digress---Ha! I always do--- the band is actually better live. In the studio sets a bit is lost, like Melora's clever chatter. She is very charming and apparently knows how to work the crowd. Truthfully I find that impressive. More than a few bands sound horrible live. They also sound nice sung in the car, but that is for another story. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google Groups Subscribe to Mad Terran Music
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com