Meera-Devi and The Mad Terran's Music Blog

Sunday, January 07, 2007

The Mad Terran's top 21

My top 21 of 2006 broken down into categories for easier reference. I've listened to a lot this year, and I can't help feeling like I've missed a few titled. I also do, and wind up having to release a second list a couple weeks later. As of now, these are my favourites of this past year.

I've had the list for a while, so most of it's been in the past few mixes. If you're curious, dig around the site for the past few months. All but a couple are salt and peppered through.

Tributes:
Tim Ries - The Rolling Stones Project: Released in 2005, but I suspect it didn't hit stores until 2006 or so. Stones songs done in various jazz styles. Plus, Norah's on it, so I can't not like it.

Easy Star All Stars - Radiodread: A Reggae/Dancehall cover album of Radiohead's OK Computer. I just find the thing remarkable, especially how they make something so familiar sound quite different and amazing all at the same time.


Side projects:
Sounds of Animals Fighting - Lover, The Lord Has Left Us: It's a side project featuring members from Mars Volta and a bunch of other bands. It will blow you away.

Office of Strategic Influence - Free: A second album from this grouping. This time, minus Steve Wilson. It might be missing Steve on production, but they did add in some brilliant, funky basslines that I love. The lyrics also seem to be a bit more personal this time around.

Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins - Rabbit Furcoat: Lead singer from Rilo Kiley teamed up with a pair of twin gospel singers. They do some heavy, atheist influenced Blue Eyed Soul. I was so floored, I got the record too.

Cobra Starship - While The City Sleeps, We Rule The Streets: Emo goes disco. Members of a bunch of So Cal bands did a song for Snakes on a Plane and then throw together a cool album. Nothing Emo about this one, frankly. It's also leading me to listen to Gym Class Heroes and MC Lars.

Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere: Probably my favourite soul, funk album this year. It's also a real stretch for Cee-Lo Green who normally is a rapper who has a major experiemental side. The beats are by DJ Dangermouse, who was last year's list with the Dangerdoom album with MF Doom.

Thom Yorke - The Eraser: It kind of takes off where Kid A left off, but in a much more minimalist sense. It's a lot of fun though.

David Gilmour - On An Island: You all knew it had to be somewhere, I put it here because I just can't give up the hope of a reunion. I still love this album


Duets:
George Benson and Al Jarreau - Givin' It Up
: Cool album all around. Two greats doin' their thing. They also do a cover of one of my favourite songs "Summer Breeze."

Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint - River in Reverse: I think this is the first album to come out from the Post-Katrina New Orleans that really manages to capture the soul of what happened, and the current state of the city. I don't usually like Elvis Costello as a singer, but I don't mind it here.

Paul Simon and Brian Eno - Surprise: As many reviewers have said, this album fits the title. So far, it is the only solo effort by Paul Simon I've really liked. (Though, I still should listen to Graceland one of these days.)


In Store Play:
Lupe Fiasco - Food and Liquor
: We played this album for a good month before it came out, and still kept playing it. This album is Hip Hop redefined into something intelligent again. This is what's been missing all these years.

Robin Thicke - The Evolution of Robin Thicke: This keeps selling and selling and selling. We labled it a hit as soon as we first heard it, and it won't stop. THis isn't Blue Eyed Soul. . . It's the son of an 80's sitcom star doing funk and soul in a trippy kind of way. This is the chill, party record of the year.

Jack Johnson - Sing-A-Longs and lullabies for the film Curious George: It'a soundtrack of a kid's film that went nowhere. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have it's own, amusing feel to it. Each song has a nice, lefty, subversive feel to it.


Standards:
Tool - 10,000 Days
: Even though it's sounds like more of the same from Tool and Maynard, it still find it's way onto my mp3 player. In fact, a musician who used to frequent our store joked about their ever present bassline. What I love about them is what they do around that bassline, and I find that extrapolative playing a real signifier of great progressive rock. And Maynard's vocals still sound like they're coming from a dream.

Flaming Lips - At War With the Mystics: Merry, sonic frivolity and social commentary from Wayne and the Lips. It never fails to blow my head off and make me want to clap.

Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam: I've said iot before, I will say it again: THIS IS THEIR GREATEST ACHIEVEMENT! Ten has some weak spots, and songs you can skip. This album does not. End of Story.

Muse - Black Holes and Revelations: This album will stick with you. They're really come into their own sound, and exploded properly. I won't say they've surpassed Radiohead, but they sure as hell found equal footing.

The Vines - Vision Valley: Have ever mentioned how much I hate reviewers. Personally, I think they keep miscategorizing this band. They move closer and closer to great, garage tinged psychedelia with each release.

Mars Volta - Amputechture: Another Mars Volta album, really. It's not Francis the Mute, but it's still amazing. they've changed things up, and have a jazzier feel to the band over all. The horn work is wicked.



My Absolute Favourite:
Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third:
This album is refreshing in that it's the real deal. There's everything here, and with Progressive Rock, it is practically a transcendental experience. You feel better for having listened to this release. It's like Porcupine Tree or even Floyd in that sense, but there's something all their own here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google Groups Subscribe to Mad Terran Music
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com