Meera-Devi and The Mad Terran's Music Blog

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Memory Almost Full and Carry On

Normally, when someone talked about Paul McCartney's solo albums (or even Wings for that matter) I simply shrug my shoulders and go "meh." It's just never been my cup of tea. Like Robert Plant's or Roger Water's solo material, you're always expecting there to be more, but for one reason or another, it just falls short of the high expectations. (By the way, "Might Rearranger" by Plant is a stellar album. Listen to it.)

Now, his latest release, "Memory Almost Full," actually surprised me. It's a good, solid album. Having said that, I reminds me of a lot of the albums I've heard by bands influenced by the Beatles over the years. At times, I hear Echo and the Bunnymen, others I hear a Electric Light Orchestra sound, and others (dare I say it?) it reminds me of Klaatu.

Yes, Paul McCartney's album reminds me of a Klaatu album. . . Now isn't that something?

This week, along with Sir Paul, thereare a couple other albums coming out this week. There's Black Light Burns, which I've not heard yet, and I'm eagerly anticipating the first listen. It's Wes Borland's new project after Limp Bizkit disintegrated awhile back. Now, without much argument, Borland was the only real talent in the band. A musician in a group of frat boys. Now that he's teamed up with a couple of the masterminds of A Perfect Circle, I'm drooling. . .

I have heard, and quickly turning into a favourite, "Carry On" by Chris Cornell. I couldn't stand Audioslave. The whole project, all three albums sounded like an absolute waste of time. His new solo album takes things back to the Soundgarden type of Grunge sound we all know, loved and angst to.

But it's not that. Like the previous Pearl Jam album, we hear a man and a sound maturing. It reminds me more of the introspective sound Temple of to Dog had. Hell, I kept expecting to see Gossard and Amment mentioned in the liners.

Listen to his cover of "Billie Jean," the Michael Jackson hit. Instead of it sounding like a prepubescent boy who there could be a real doubt whether he's seen a woman naked, Chris Cornell makes it sound like "Yeah, it's probably his kid," in the way only a former junkie could. . .

Really, it all comes down to this: It's good to have your old heroes making good music again. Refreshing, almost.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google Groups Subscribe to Mad Terran Music
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com