Meera-Devi and The Mad Terran's Music Blog

Friday, February 17, 2006

An evening's observation. . .

Led Zeppelin - "The Rain Song"

I'm sure some would rather I not demystify this song, and so, I won't. I will merely offer an evening's observation while I sit and write with my girlfriend. Listening to this song, I find it to be much like a long, slow afternoon spent making love, where the words don't quite matter, nor do where things go, or even the tempo of the whole affair. The only thing that seems to matter is that "The Rain Song" should not end. It keeps building, and building and building until eventually you're in the midst of a smile. I find it interesting that the only lyrics that do stand out are ". . . But I know, that I love you so. . . " mostly from it's repetition, but still, I think that goes to the heart of the song.

In the end, I think the only thing truly unpleasant about this song is that it ends, much like afternoons spent making love. And songs like this, and afternoons like that seem to be only appreciated long after the fact, when it's thought about in the middle of a long, lonely night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google Groups Subscribe to Mad Terran Music
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com