Meera-Devi and The Mad Terran's Music Blog

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Syd Barrett. RIP

What happens when one of your heroes dies? I've been thinking about that a lot this evening. Syd Barret, who was reported to have died a couple days ago, was a hero of mine. It wasn't quite for the strange things he did in his life that lead to his mental breakdown, though maybe it would have been when I was younger, but it was what he created with words and sounds. He was an astral traveler, as they say, and did his best to recreate those little voyages for us mundanes to enjoy.

On days like these, which oddly coincides with the release of Pulse on DVD in the States, I find myself thinking back to the early days of loving this band, back when "The Wall" was what I thought the height of musical achievement was, and when I believed that "Dark Side of the Moon" was an exceptional debut album for a band. Not only did Roger and David's music and imagery help usher me through my last years of high school by making me "Comfortably Numb," it also encouraged my budding interest in "classic rock." I quickly dug through my parents' Beatles CDs and wound up buying a couple Doors and Hendrix albums along the way. Led Zeppelin would come a bit later.

Once I returned home from my first year of college, I had lots of free time. I did some investigation, discovering the vast community that is the Pink Floyd fandom. I also discovered for the first time Roger Keith Barrett's time with the band. I fell in love with absolute mania right away. Soon, I became a Syd, devotee, putting aside my wavering between David and Roger in their former soap opera.

Syd's music helped free me. It helped encourage my imagination to take a few risks. Frankly, Syd Barrett's music helped me jump into writing, and really get my feet wet with it.

Then, when I hit some rough patches, the band's music was there to help put me right again. Elements never fail to help act as a violent, musical catharsis, or even nurse. It was there I truly began to revere the band.

I also took the time to read up on them, reading Nickolas Schaffner book, A Saucerful of Secrets: The Pink Floyd Odyssey. I learned a lot about the band, and it began to introduce them as something more than an almost religious mystery. It also helped me seek our other music from that time and place that was the late sixties. By virtue of that, my musical hobby of psychedelic flourished.

I've taken my fair share of crap and abuse about my fandom. I've even endured uneducated comments of the newly to barely initiated. It's become an occupational hazard in my time in music retail.

In the end, I cling to my hopes and my enjoyment after hours of this band and the accomplishments of this man, Syd Barret.

So to commemorate his life, and mourn his loss, I made this week's podcast for Syd. I'd had a few different things in mind, but they can wait. This one is for Syd.

One for Syd

1. Syd Barrett - Wouldn't You Miss Me?(Dark Globe)
2. Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I-V)
3. Pink Floyd - Bike
4. Pink Floyd - Jugband Blues
5. Syd Barrett - Effervescing Elephant
6. Pink Floyd - Arnold Layne
7. Syd Barrett - Terrapin
8. Pink Floyd - See Emily Play
9. Pink Floyd - Interstellar Overdrive
10. Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts VI-IX)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google Groups Subscribe to Mad Terran Music
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com