Meera-Devi and The Mad Terran's Music Blog

Thursday, August 02, 2007

The Field and Myspace recomendations.

I was at my favorite traditional Irish pub up in Dania this evening and I heard yet another remarkable performance by their house band, Celtic Bridge. They do trad. Irish music with some rock tendencies that usually remind me of an unplugged Zeppelin or a version of Jethro Tull I'd like.

So when I got home, the whiskey still floating around my head, I started digging around Myspace and the internet as a whole for this little band. Sadly, nothing turned up on it's own, but I was able to come up with something from one of the members, Ade Peever.

I listened to the tracks damn, they were pretty cool. So I kept digging around Myspace and came up with an interesting list of recommendations.

The first I found from checking out some of the friends to Ade Peever, looking for their other projects. When I tell you it's a talented group of musicians, I'm not lying in a music rep kind of way. These people are the real deal.

First I found ShaSha. This is a classically trained violinist who was born in China, educated in the UK, introduced to Irish folk music and somehow found her way to Miami. I don't ask how. It seems a bit like asking the gods how music came to be. The tracks she has up sound like a kind of fusion that sells by the millions around Pledge time of PBS. . .

What I want to know is, why isn't she better known?

The next I found, again from Ade Peever's Myspace page. They're a straight up Blues Rock group from the Leeds. Doesn't get grittier than this without heading straight into the deepest, diviest, gin joint you can find in the deep South. They're called Rain Dogs

Another found me by accident, actually. Well, I found them via a mailer Snocap sends out. I just happened to listen to one of their tracks and I was completely and utterly blown away. They're called The New Up. They are a psych band with a female vocalist that doesn't come off like Jefferson Airplane of Big Brother. Not to say I don't harbor a necrophiliac love for Janis Joplin, but The New Up nearly melted my brain.

Bands like this only hit me once every few years. It was like I heard them in my head and finally something clicked and this band filled in faces and the name for what had been there all a long. I felt that way when I first heard the Flaming Lip's "Yoshimi" and Porcupine Tree's "Lightbulb Sun" and of course, Mars Volta's "Francis the Mute." I stared at my laptop's screen for minutes when I listened to "Chewbacca's Garden."

I told Del that I immediately needed their CD. She laughed, and I'll be purchasing it ASAP.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google Groups Subscribe to Mad Terran Music
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com