Meera-Devi and The Mad Terran's Music Blog

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Topic: Long forgotten. . .


On the bus this morning, and while watching the Flaming Lips' recent DVD release "VOID" ( a collection of their music videos from the early years to Yoshimi) I had quite a few wonderful sentences strung out together on in my head about what I want to say. But ultimately, it was just me gushing about all the greatness that is Wayne Coyne and how much I admire his creative ability and on and on until you were all sick of my fanboying.

Suffice it to say, I've liked the Flaming Lips since their entry "Bad Days" on the Batman Forever soundtrack. It was a strange bright spot in a very, very dreary musical time. I've lived in Miami for most of my life and groups like the Flaming Lips sure as hell don't enter our radio play much since before Yoshimi (not sure if they had even after that, actually) The sad part was, since a muscially inclined friend of mine hadn't heard of them, it took the piss out of my excitement of this whimsical and very true song. It was also a period I still hadn't figured out that it was cool to like bands that everyone else you knew really hadn't heard of. Conformism at that stage was at it's peak for me. Thank the gods that it ebbed fairly quickly once I left high school. We wouldn't be having all these shows.

Fast forward a bit to when Yoshimi was released and I heard them again. I was taken aback by the album. It simply blew me away that their were people, let alone Americans who still had this kind of creativity in them. I put the album on at work after being tossed the promotional copy and was roundly told to take it off by many of my coworkers. . . thus I was being egged on to explore more. And I've found a happy, musical home with much of their catalogue, with them as part of a strange trinity of modern bands I know I can't live without (the other two being Mars Volta and Porcupine Tree).

So when I examined the packaging of "VOID" and found that sticker, I damn near made all kinds of girlish noises and jumped for joy. So in Early 2006, expect more fauning over Wayne.

I've also got a new mix up, one incorporating a bit of the experimentation from the previous one, but not so painful on most, highly attuned ears. For now, I'm just treating it as a fun mix for the end of summer. Looking over the playlist, quite a few friends went into it
Part One:
http://box.net/public/themadterran/files/756636.html
Part Two:
http://box.net/public/themadterran/files/756637.html
Part Three:
http://box.net/public/themadterran/files/756638.html


And the Playlist:

1. Jimi Hendrix - Long Hot Summer Night
2. Keller Williams - Bob Rules
3. Tilly and the Wall - Fell Down the Stairs
4. Jimmy Buffet - Margaritaville
5. Green Day - Brain Stew
6. Steve Burns - Mighty Little Man
7. Klaatu - Sub-Rosa Subway
8. B-52's - Hallucinating Pluto
9. The Solarflares - You Want Blood
10. Blake Shelton - Some Beach
11. Sublime - What I Got
12. Paranoid Social Club - Headphones
13. Flaming Lips - Be My Head
14. Incubus - Summer Romance (Anti-Gravity Love Song)
15. Shout Out Louds - A Track and a Train
16. The Clash - Should I Stay or Go Now

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google Groups Subscribe to Mad Terran Music
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com