Meera-Devi and The Mad Terran's Music Blog

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Love and Arthur Lee

A couple days ago, it was announced that Arthur Lee, one of the founders and main creative force behind the band Love died. I was never the fan for Love that I am I for Jefferson Airplane or The Doors, but for a long time, I've really enjoyed the music they released during the 60's. In a lot of ways, Arthur Lee was a cool figure, in that he was one weird, bad dude who also managed to create some rather interesting and touching stuff. Love is also one of the bands mosty sited as influences.

While digging through my personal, online journal, I came across some words I wrote way back in 2004 after getting their seminal "Forever Changes" album.

I thought I might post the inanities I wrote back then and I put together a little mix so that everyone can hear more of this lost genius.

"Once upon a time, The Doors' main goal was to be as big as Love. It never happened. They went darker and got a lot bigger, but that also might be because the other band members could keep Jim going, whereas Arthur Lee went completely psycho. . . Skip Spence or Syd Barrett psycho.

"Yesterday, along with the Syd Barrett collection I spoke about in the last post, I picked up Love's "Forever Changes" album. (I also picked up a couple other things, and I'll leave some comments about them later, if at all). This really is an album worthy of it's reputation as being a beautifully crafted album. You can hear that later psychedelic, Moody Blues-esque sound. I haven't dug into the bonus tracks, but it's a good, pleasurable listen. I've heard most of the songs on the album from a Best of Love collection I've had for a while, but hearing a remastered version of the album, in it's entirety really brings it out. It doesn't have my favourite song by them on it, "Signed, DC." I need to figure out which one that's one, but "The Red Telephone" is nice. The last song, "You Set the Scene" is nice too, it lingers.

"This is where I ramble about my hobby in the vain hope that someone cares. . . I just love the full sound on this thing. It's very Spector with the horns and the strings in the mix. In fact, if you're a Moody Blues fan from the "Nights in White Satin" era, I'd recommend this."


I later learned that "Nights and White Satin" is an album from this same period of music. I marvel and what I've learned in the past few years and what I've still got to learn.

Here's the mix: A Half Hour of Love

Playlist:

1. Love - My Little Red Book
2. Love - A House Is Not A Motel
3. Love - Hey Joe
4. Love - She Comes In Colors
5. Love - Stephanie Knows Who
6. Love - Andmoreagain
7. Love - Signed D.C.
8. Love - You Set The Scene

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google Groups Subscribe to Mad Terran Music
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com